Kris Krise

I have played baseball since I was 5 and have been a pitcher since I was 9. I always dreamed of playing in the Major Leagues. When I was 14 the high school football coach asked me to play football. My parents didn’t want me to, but told me it was my choice. I decided to play. After all, lots of kids play more than one sport in high school. It was September 26, 1998, the third game of the season and we were winning with less then 2 minutes left in the game. I went to sack the quarterback when I felt a terrible pain in my elbow. My pitching elbow. My own teammate had hit the back of my elbow with his face mask, hyper-extending my arm. The ulna bone broke off and lodged into my dislocated elbow, taking the ligaments and tendons with it. I couldn’t feel the last three fingers on my right hand, which I later found out was because I had shredded the nerve on both ends. All I could think about while riding to the hospital in the ambulance was that I would never throw a ball again. No more baseball. No more dream. I was lucky enough to have Dr. Stetson on call that day to do my surgery. Dr. Stetson repaired the nerve, ligaments and tendons and put the ulna bone back on with a 2 ½ inch screw. I was pitching again 6 months later for the varsity baseball team at Crescenta Valley High School. I graduated in 2002 and was drafted by the Arizona Diamond Backs, but took a full baseball scholarship to UC Irvine. The summer of my freshman year in college I went to Cape Cod and played for the Brewster White Caps. In 2004 I was drafted by the Kansas City Royals, but took a full baseball scholarship to Chico State University where I went 9-2, was “Pitcher of The Week”, won the 2005 Western Regional Championships and went to the Division II College World Series in Montgomery Alabama. On June 7, 2005 I was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers. A week later I was on a plane to Utah to play for their Rookie team, the Ogden Raptors. My dream finally came true. I am 22 yrs old now and getting ready for Spring Training. None of this would have been possible without Dr. Stetson. He gave me back my dream. Thank you Dr. Stetson.